Introducing the addition of the Committee on Minority Affairs to the Chemical Society of Washington. We are excited to add this committee and look forward to serving in the community. First virtual meeting for volunteers will be held September 17th, 2020. Details will follow in an email. If you would like to get involved please email LaKesha Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Background & Motivation: The Chemical Society of Washington (CSW) currently has approximately 3,417 active members that answered a short demographics survey. Out of the number of the members that participated in the survey, less than 6% identified as being a part of an underrepresented minority group (African American, American Indians/ Alaska Natives and Latinos) in the STEM fields. The goal of the Committee on Minority Affairs will be to increase the membership and participation of underrepresented minority groups within CSW through the use of resources and volunteer efforts provided by the Board of Managers. The effort will promote CSW’s involvement in advancing diversity and inclusion within the American Chemical Society and overall broader chemical enterprise.
To advance diversity and inclusion in the Chemical Society of Washington (CSW) and the broader chemistry enterprise.
- Sustain and dynamically develop a programmatic presence within the CSW community
- Increase the number & participation of racially & ethnically underrepresented scientists within CSW membership
- Promote the recognition of the professional accomplishments of minorities
- Provide mentoring to minority students
- Identify and collaborate with minority-friendly educational institutions and businesses