The Board of Directors is the Executive arm of ACS governance and leadership. At each National Meeting, the Board provides a report to the ACS Council on their actions, and CSW Councilors report back afterward.
CSW Councilors Report – Actions of the Board of Directors
John M. Malin
The Board’s Executive Session
The Board’s Committees
The Board of Directors received and discussed reports from its Committees on Grants and Awards (G&A), Professional and Member Relations (P&MR), Executive Compensation, and Corporation Associates; the Society Committee on Education (SOCED); and the Joint Board-Council Committee on Publications.
- On the recommendation of the Committee on Grants and Awards and of the Committee on Science, the Board voted to approve a Society nominee for the National Medal of Science.
- On the recommendation of the Committee on Professional and Member Relations, the Board voted to provide nominal sponsorship, without financial commitment, for the “Frontiers of Science Research and Education in the Middle East: A Bridge to Peace” (Malta VII) to be held in Rabat, Morocco, November, 2015.
- The Board received an extensive briefing and approved several recommendations from its Committee on Executive Compensation. The compensation of the Society’s executive staff receives regular review from the Board.
- On the recommendation of the Society Committee on Education, the Board voted to approve a procedure for the establishment of the inaugural Governing Board for the American Association of Chemistry Teachers (AACT).
- On the recommendation of the Joint Board-Council Committee on Publications, the Board voted to approve the reappointment of an Editor-in-Chief for an ACS journal.
The Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer’s Report
The Executive Director/CEO offered a review of his initial month in the position, and his direct reports updated the Board on the activities of Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS), the ACS Publications Division, the Society’s Treasurer, and the Society’s General Counsel.
Other Society Business
- The Board heard reports from the Presidential Succession on their current and planned activities for 2015.
- As part of its ongoing commitment to consider the most important strategic issues facing the Society, the Board held a discussion on improving governance agility.
The Board received an update on its retreat, planned as part of the June 2015 Board meeting.
The Board passed two resolutions, one in memory of former ACS Secretary Rodney N. Hader, who died in January 2015, and another for the U.S. Air Force Academy for 31 years of continuous support of the U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad.
The Board’s Open Session
The Board held a well-attended open session which featured Bibiana Campos Seijo, Editor-in-Chief, C&EN. Dr. Campos Seijo’s topic was “Getting Bang for Your Buck in Science Communications.” Prior to the presentation, members of the presidential succession and the new Executive Director and CEO offered brief reports on their activities. The officers provided more extensive reports on their activities and/or future plans as part of their reports to the Council.